Soup Saturday Recipes Continue with Zuppa Toscana!
So in my last post, I introduced you to, what we call in my family, Soup Saturday and shared my recipe for Beef Barley Vegetable Soup. This week I have another easy soup to add to your collection of gestational diabetes friendly recipes…. Zuppa Toscana! This soup is my one of my favorites and it satisfies my cravings for potato soup or traditional zuppa toscana on cold winter days!
To make this recipe gestational diabetes friendly, I replace much of the potatoes with cauliflower. The cauliflower takes on the role of the potato effortlessly! Packed with protein, this is a satisfying and delicious dish!
- 1 pound Fresh Ground Pork, Extra Lean
- 4 Slices Nitrate-Free Bacon, Cut into ½ inch, Cooked Crisp and 1 T of drippings
- 1 Medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 Large Carrot, Thinly Sliced
- 2-3 tsp Fennel Seed
- ½ to 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 T Garlic, minced
- 7 c Chicken Stock
- 2 Small (2”dia) Potatoes, diced in ½" cubed
- ½ Head Cauliflower, Roughly chopped into ½" pieces
- 3 c Spinach, Rough Chopped (or Kale- remove the hard stems)
- 1 c Whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Brown the sausage with a pinch of salt and pepper in a stock pot until crumbly, brown and no longer pink. Drain, remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the same pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon and grease leaving a tablespoon of drippings in the pot. Stir in the onions, carrots, fennel and red pepper flakes; cook until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and sausage and sauté a couple minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pot with the onion/carrot/sausage mixture; bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, and simmer about 10 minutes. Add cauliflower and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in the spinach and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Want more? Make sure are signed up for my newsletter HERE and keep in touch.
Also, “Like” me on Facebook!